Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pop Music Team - Society Is A Shit - #142

Pop Music Team - Society Is A Shit

I'm a big fan of Rock, Beat and Blues from all strange corners of this earth. Thanks to a recent interest in even very obscure bands and countries, a lot of albums are being released of which we didn't have the faintest idea in my area. And buying the vinyl issue of a band from Mexico with the rather silly name Pop Music Team, should have rung a bell somewhere. But it's being described as killer Psych and some such drivel. I'm also kind of obsessed by so-called "weird" music.

I'm sorry to say this, but if this is Psych, all you fans of this genre out there, have been had, big time. I admit, I have zero idea what Psych really is. Better people have tried to explain this to me, but I know what it certainly isn't, this here, for one. But, and I'm not pulling your leg, this is one of the most fantastic "weird" albums to come into my collection for a very long time. I sit here, listen to the tracks and I can't help but have a grin on my face throughout both sides of the LP. This is class A stuff, a band that's a million ways away from where they want to see themselves, it's just funny. Mind you, I'm not talking about a bad record, just a very very strange one.

This make me wonder what they had been smoking, prior to  recording these songs. Must have been awfully potent stuff. Plus a few bottles of Tequila maybe? The insert is a beauty in itself, telling the story of the recordings/band on one half page and not even mentioning the shortcomings of the (back then unreleased) album. I don't know, they make it appear like Pop Music Team was a big player in their homecountry in 1967. Amazing, I wouldn't want to miss out on this album, although all for the wrong reasons.

Now, can someone tell me where all these reviewers heard killer Psych? "Nashville" is on now and, frankly, it would be killer track at a kids' party. Just great stuff!

Cheers

Devon.

No comments:

Post a Comment