Monday, April 1, 2013

Steve Hooker - Smokin' Guitar - #126

Steve Hooker - Smokin' Guitar

The new CD from Steve Hooker (aka the Stripped Down Stomping Band) is quite remarkable, in that, of the eight tracks on offer here, four are instrumentals. I don't know wether one can expect this from Steve Hooker, but it makes the title of this release spot on. The CD clocks in at just below the half hour mark and again, I rather have 30 minutes of class A stuff, than 70 minutes of reheated fourth row musicianship. But with Steve Hooker there's no danger of that.


This is a slice of trademark Steve Hooker. I mean, he's not exactly reinventing the wheel, but then, I don't expect him to do. I'm pretty sure, if he would, I couldn't take him seriously anymore. But that's no surprise, one really expects new releases from certain artists to stick to their roots. Or at least what you consider their roots are. Seven of the eight tracks are Steve Hooker originals and the eighth is probably one as well, I'm not sure, as it says "Foxx C And I". The track is "Mocking Bird", and if I'm not completely mistaken, can be found on an earlier two track release (this is somewhere on my shelfs, but I would have to move a ton of records to get to it, so no checking there), although this here is an alternate version.

The music is, of course, the typical Steve Hooker Rockabilly/Rock mix. Kind of modern and not so much the retro stuff. Although I'm fine with both variations. Back to the four instrumentals, which, I think, suit his style very well and at least for me, are the highlights of this album. I'm not picking one over the other, but for the introduction to the CD alone, I have to give special points to "Wolf Farm (Grange Aux Loups)". And also for this heavy beat and well defined rhythm, this is very recommended, especially if you come from the same corner as myself (musically speaking).

Wether you buy "Smokin' Guitar" or not is, naturally, up to you, but you could really do worse than shelling out your hard earned cash for this release. This is an album you'll go back listening to and enjoying it. The cover is reminiscent of this French cigarette brand. Good job, but if it were for me, I would have used the backside for the cover (pun intended). Released on Pimphouse CD1. It might not be available in every record shop, but if you ask your brick and mortar outlet dealer nicely, he/she's going to order it for you. Alternatively, you can also get this from Steve's website at www.stevehooker.co.uk

Cheers

Devon

1 comment: