Wednesday, March 25, 2020

flector - Mighty Man - No. 227

flector - Mighty Man

Now, I could have sworn that I reviewed this CD (EP) some time back and if not in this blog, then where? Can't be on some forum, as I don't do those anymore. There's no way out of this misery but to admit, I forgot it completely (not the CD, but doing the review). Preliminaries: The CD can be bought via www.flector.space and clocks in at just below the 20 minute finishing line. Recording was done in 2018. Everything in place? As it should be.

Full disclosure: I know Carlo Gartenmann personally because he did everything possible to bring our book "From Roxette To Ramona - Dr. Feelgood And Wilko Johnson On Record" through the stages to the printer. Super job done and he sure did his magic on the doorstopper. There's a lot of his input there, some things he did on his own and, I have to admit, I couldn't have thought of a better way to do it.

Carlo has been the guitar player and lead singer in a few bands down the road. One of them was a rather Blues/Rock oriented combo (Red Lizard) and an earlier one (Nightcaps) was actually drifting more into the Krautrock vein ca. early 70's. I mean, I saw it that way, because I'm an old Krautrock fan from way back and the funny thing is, Carlo never concurred. However, I can quote chapter and verse from german bands that must have been his influences. He's totally in denial.

1978-1990: Charlesmax
1991-1998: Ed Rea’s Ratman Walk
1999-2002: Ohr
2002-2013: Nightcaps
2014-2017: Red Lizard

Well then, here's his latest outfit (I'm talking about "his latest" because he looks like the mainman here), although I'm sure this is not a big boss thing. The music? I can't really compare it to other bands, because this music is a bit of a niche product in my collection. And with the description of genres all watered down nowadays, I'm not sure I'll hit bull's eye.


I can safely say, this is not for your average Blues, Rock or MOR fan. The tracks are more Prog than anything else (be careful, Prog is a very wide field and includes Death Metal stuff as well - which this music isn't). Yes are lame compared to flector (all lower cases - not my typo). What you don't get is senseless noodling, everything is conchise and to the point. The music is at times rather rocking and at other times quieter. One thing that strikes me, is, how good the whole band is with their instruments. And, although this is a private release, the recording is sonically excellent and a joy to listen to, in case your a HiFi buff.

GOT IT! At times it reminds me of Uriah Heep (the organ made it click). Early ones when they had their greatest hits. Yes, there's a certain similarity. I knew I wasn't a complete stranger to this music. 😇 Plus some more, I let you know if I can dig up some other band's name.

Of the three tracks are all originals and the credits are with Cedy Häuptling (music and lyrics), Carlo (muscic) and Susanne Gartenmann (lyrics). Back to the quality: It's very interesting to hear a band with that level of craftmanship, especially when they are not backed by some major label (in fact everything is self released. What I wish for, is a full album coming our way soon. That would be something well worth waiting for.

flector, like all other bands, do have the problem of cancelled gigs (due to the Corona virus spread) and what not. I know, support is a much used (and abused) term nowadays, but if you buy their CD, it gives you good Karma (and an excellent CD!).

Cheers

Roland

No comments:

Post a Comment