Wednesday, August 29, 2012

V/A - GS I Love You/GS I Love You Too (Japanese Garage Bands Of The 1960's) - #96

V/A - GS I Love You/GS I Love You Too (Japanese Garage Bands Of The 1960's)

Both CDs have a 1996 P/C, but I only saw an advert in a recent U.K. music magazine about two/three weeks ago. This is not really, what most folks would expect, a novelty release, although I must admit, there's some stuff on here that makes you grin, the cover of "Fire" (the old Arthur Brown ditty) for one just being such a point, but quite a showcase for the 1960's group sound from Japan. It's certainly not all garage bands, as the subtitle claims, but it's close enough to satisfy the serious music connaisseur.



What you get is 55 tracks of the most enthusiastic GS from the land of the rising sun. There's certainly nothing poor about the selection on offer. Even the few cover versions, "I Saw Her Standing There" among others, are outstanding, exotic and excellent. I won't go about the singers pronounciation in case were the chosen language is English, but there's a lot of lyrics in their native language as well. And, I have to admit, although my collection of Japanese music is numbering quite a few items, both CDs are well worth as a sort of stepping stone, if you want to explore this scene further. These releases are distributed by ace.

Cheers

Devon

No comments:

Post a Comment