Thursday, October 11, 2012

Bob Wayne - Outlaw Carnie - #97

Bob Wayne - Outlaw Carnie

One of the best LPs I've recently heard. I had to dust it off, because I bought it a while ago and it just sat amongst the "yet to listen to" LPs/CDs. Afaik, this is Bob Wayne's first release on a label (apparently he's made three albums in his own backyard, these were sold at his gigs and via his website). Some of the songs on offer here are reworkings from older material, but since nearly noone knows the earlier material, this is just as well.


What you get here is Country at its best. Yes, friends and neighbours, The Practice Rocks goes Country. I have a soft bone for artists like Buck Owens, Dwight Yoakam, Johnny Cash and others from a distinctive history leading up all the way from the 1950's, as long as it's not the Nashville pop that's being sold as "Country" or "Americana". Bob Wayne reminds me of a lot of people, but somehow I can't get Angry Johnny And The Killbillies out of my head, although the latter don't really count as a Country outfit.


The LP is released on Peoplelikeyourecords on 180g vinyl (blue wax). I don't know about the CD, just that there is indeed a release. If you go for the LP, there's a dropcard for a free digital download included.

Cheers

Devon

No comments:

Post a Comment