Sunday, April 12, 2020

flector - Interview With Manu - No. 233

flector - Interview With Manu

And here's the interview with Manu (bass). You know, once upon a time I really thought a bass player made dumdumdum all night long and he/she was best pal with the drummer who went bambambam (or thereabouts). Well, I changed my view on drummers a long way back, especially with my Jazz leanings and realised, there's more to the noble art of drumming than hammering a drumset through the floor. Although I do admit, I saw Apocalyptica once in concert (Montreux Jazzfestival) and their drummer, I swear, I don't exaggerate, actually hammered his equipment through the stage floor. O.k., maybe a bit! It was wonderful, it was great and a marvellous sight and sound.

Bass players with their dum dum dum are an altogether different beast. It was also a long time ago that I realised, it's not what it appears to be. Take Norman Watt-Roy (The Greatest Show On Earth, Ian Dury or the Wilko Johnson Band) and you know what a bass guitarist can do. Granted, Norman is not your typical bassist and rather extroverted when playing his instrument, but what a performer he is. Another is Mellow who I've seen only once at a gig and he seems to be a "free form" bass player as well and Teppo who is more structured, but this comes with the terrain. Btw, the coolest bass solo? Definitely the Siegel-Schwall Band on their "Same" album during the "Next To You" track. Wonderful, just wonderful and I kid you not, especially the bits he doesn't play. I still get goosebumps listening to this.

But I digress, this is about Manu and his views on life, playing bass in flector and the general pitfalls of life (the latter is going to be part 2 😎).




Cheers

Roland






No comments:

Post a Comment