Thursday, January 5, 2012

Red Peters And Her Solid Senders – Rockin’ Out The Blues - #59

Red Peters And Her Solid Senders – Rockin’ Out The Blues

No idea, how I came across this one. I just believe, that at first, it didn’t catch my attention because of the Solid Senders name. I’d like to plead completely innocent, but I will have to admit that it was probably the title of the first song on this 10”, going by the name of “My Man Ain’t Coming Inside”. Now I realize that this is probably just my imagination, but then, I also know that a “Backdoor Man” (in Blues terms) isn’t someone to enter your house via the entrance in your garden.

The 10” vinyl was released in the nineties and Red Peters And Her Solid Senders seem to be a band hailing all the way from the U.K. and playing a mixture of Blues, Jive and Rockabilly. What you get here, are ten tracks (originals as well as cover versions). It looks like this was never released on CD. Their output seems to have been, in general, few and far between. I’ve read somewhere, that they tried to get that vintage 50’s sound on this release, not least by using ancient equipment. That’s okay and all, but for my money I’d like to have better sounding vinyl. Even in the 50’s, they have done better jobs than what they’ve come up with this release in the 90’s. Vintage sound reproduction one way or the other (Kitty, Daisy & Lewis show the world how it needs to be done).

The “Rockin’ Out The Blues” vinyl sounds muffled, with the band in seperate rooms from the recording equipment. What’s more, my copy is not a well pressed one, as the left channel does have a lot of distortion (I checked with other 10”s, just to make sure, it wasn’t my turntable drawing it’s last breath). As much as I prefer vinyl over CDs, this point is definitely one for the digital fraction. The ten songs on offer here are excellent. The band is swinging (even when in Rock’n’Roll mode) and have certainly learned their lessons without failing a test. As for Red Peters, she’s just perfect for this style of music. Her vocals are exactly what’s needed to have this certain sheen on the songs. It’s not a sweet and innocent voice, but one that does a lot to keep this thing going. A certain intensity is there, as well as a gritty layer, and yet, never obtrusive. I couldn’t find a website and the videos available on the www are not of the quality I’d put a link to. However, you can easily check them out on the usual platforms.

Cheers

Devon

No comments:

Post a Comment