Thursday, October 27, 2011

Bootlegs - #45

Bootlegs

The cover story in November's Uncut is "Uncovered! The 50 Greatest Bootlegs. "Rock's Most Mythical Records". Not one of these albums is in my collection, although I do have a fair share of bootlegs. Mine just don't seem to be "Rock's Most Mythical Records". That's it. But then, I don't want to have these, I want good stuff. And that's were it's lacking. Most bootlegs are just not worth bothering, with a few exceptions. I've said it on my website, the best bootleg I've heard so far is a Pete Gage band project (that was named "Dr Feelgood") and the CD is "They Do It Right", apparently recorded during their European tour in 1999.


In fact, this is not a real bootleg, as it is a CD-R. But the soundquality is superior to any other live recording I've heard before. I don't know wether it's still available, because I haven't seen this for a while. A couple of years at least (around ten or so). But if you can get your hand on this, don't hesitate. Good Pete Gage performance with a bunch of backing musicians. When you listen to the CD, you get the idea, that the band is standing there, playing live in your livingroom.


With regard to "real" bootlegs (meaning pressed CDs or LPs) of Dr Feelgood and Wilko Johnson, there's very little available. I need to present the few items here, in a future message.

Cheers

Devon

2 comments:

  1. this one is recording in switzerland at le grand lancy near Geneva.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting information. Thanks for sharing.

    Cheers

    Devon

    ReplyDelete